Plans of the town
In most cases they have been scanned at 600 dpi from original documents.
Stratford-on-Avon Town PlanFree Town Guide, c.1960
Note Municipal Offices where Playhouse is now, Hippodrome on Wood Street, Cattle Market by Railway Station, the Methodist Church, St James's Church and Police Station all in Guild Street, and General Post Office in Bridge Street. Map scale: 7 inches to a mile.
H. Snowden Ward
The Shakespearean Guide to Stratford-on-Avon, 1895
Shows many buildings that no longer have the same function: demolished (Gas Works, Union Workhouse, St James' Church, Avon Bank); changed role (National Schools, Wesleyan Church, Fountain Hotel, Mission Room, Children's Hospital, Red Horse, Golden Lion, Old Red Lion); occupants moved to another location (Police Station, Bowling Green, St Gregory's School, Post Office, Vicarage, Fire Station, Parish Room); or rebuilt after fire (Memorial Theatre). Map scale: 9 inches to a mile. Area 1.3x0.8 miles.
Plan of Stratford upon Avon
Robert Bell Wheler
Guide to Stratford upon Avon, J. Ward, London, 1814
Frontispiece of the excellent guide book by the renowned local historian Wheler, following the general layout of Winter's map. Shows the location of the Ecclesiastical College, north of the church. Map scale: 30 chains to the inch.
Plan of Stratford on Avon
Hand drawn, 1759
Drawing held by Shakespeare Birthplace Trust ER1/48 (f.22). Shows clearly the 3x3 grid of streets from the medieval layout of the town. Map scale: 30 chains to the inch. Reproduced in The Borough Town of Stratford upon Avon, Levi Fox (1953), p.49