Images of the town

Significant engravings showing historical views of the town.
In all cases they have been scanned at 600 dpi from original documents.

View from Chapel Street to the north along High Street

Chapel Street 1829

Drawn and engraved by T. Radclyffe

William Smith, A new and complete history of the County of Warwick, W. Emans, Bromsgrove

View from the middle of Chapel Street to the north along High Street. The arches of the Town Hall are unglazed, covered with metal railings, for use as a market. One of the original buildings of the old Shakespeare Hotel is on the far right. On the corner of Ely Street, to the left, is Tudor House, with the Garrick Inn and the Ancient House (now Harvard House) just visible beyond. In the distance is the Quiney house at No1 High Street and the house in Bridge Street that was later demolished when Union Street was created. Gas lights are fitted on tall standards on both sides of the street.


View from the east bank of the Avon, looking south over the Tramway Bridge

View from the River 1829

Drawn and engraved by T. Radclyffe

William Smith, A new and complete history of the County of Warwick, W. Emans, Bromsgrove

View from the east bank of the Avon, looking south. In the foreground is the Tramway Bridge, built only three years earlier to take the horse-drawn tram to Moreton-in-Marsh. Behind in the distance is the mill, Holy Trinity Church, with Avonbank on the right. On the left are out-buildings of the Swan's Nest Hotel.


View from the east bank of the Avon, looking west along Clopton Bridge

Stratford Bridge 1795

Drawn by Samuel Ireland

Picturesque views on the upper, or Warwickshire Avon, R. Faulder, London

View from the east bank of the Avon, looking west along Clopton Bridge. Note that the bridge has only a single carriageway, with passing places, as it was built in 1495. In the centre of the bridge is a pillar with arms and an inscription attributing the bridge to Hugh Clopton. On the far side of the river are to be seen houses on Waterside and behind them the tower of the Guild Chapel. The spire of Holy Trinity is out of sight to the left behind the tree.


View from Cross o' th' Hill over the town, Holy Trinity with its old spire

South East Prospect of Stratford upon Avon 1746

Richard Green

Gentleman Magazine, London, December 1792, p.1077

View from Cross o' th' Hill (to the west of the present-day Waitrose roundabout) over the town, engraved from a drawing by Richard Green in 1746. The wooden footbridge over the river is on the left, with the Mill behind and Holy Trinity Church in the centre. Note the stubby lead-covered spire, which was replaced by the present stone spire in 1762. Rising up behind the chancel of the church is the old Town Hall, and above the nave the top of the tower of the Guild Chapel. To the left beyond the nave are the outbuildings of the College. In the distance are the Welcombe Hills.